Saturday, April 29, 2006

Channel NewsAsia: WP's Gomez admits he did not submit form to Elections Dept

SINGAPORE VOTES 2006


James Gomez (L) and Low Thia Khiang (R)

SINGAPORE : Workers' Party candidate James Gomez has admitted that he did not submit the minority certificate application form to the Elections Department as claimed earlier.

He read out a prepared statement on this during the party's rally at Nee Soon East.

"I have a statement to read. I refer to my claim for the submission of my application for a minority certificate at Elections Department on 26 April 2006. I wish to confirm I did not submit the said application on 24 April 2006 due to distractions caused by the busy schedule leading up to Nomination Day. Please accept my sincere apologies if my actions on 26 April 2006 caused any distress or confusion to the staff or the Elections Department. I thank you," said James Gomez, WP candidate for Aljunied GRC.

Mr Gomez had come under attack by PAP leaders in the past few days for his silence on the issue. They had criticised him for his lack of accountability.

Saturday night's admission came a day after the Elections Department released a transcript and footages from a security camera recording of his visit to the department.

These were filmed on the day Mr Gomez insisted he had submitted his application.

"If the PAP thinks that I will be intimidated by their big guns and will duck the issue, they have made a wrong judgement. I have spoken to James Gomez and found out what happened," said Low Thia Khiang, Secretary-General of Workers' Party.

He said the PAP was trying to use the issue to discredit the WP's candidates especially the Aljunied team.

After the rally, Mr Low was asked if he thought this issue had been settled.

"I think it has been settled. We came out clean and we made it clear. James has sincerely apologised for causing this distress to the Elections Department. I think we are fair people, we are not someone who is trying to make things difficult. It's an unfortunate misunderstanding, it’s an incident and we are open about it," said Mr Low. - CNA/ls