Saturday, April 29, 2006

Channel NewsAsia: WP's Low slams PAP for comments over Gomez's minority certificate issue

SINGAPORE VOTES 2006

By Joanne Leow



The Workers' Party (WP) has criticised the People's Action Party (PAP) for raising the issue of Mr James Gomez's minority certificate application to the Elections Department.

Both WP Secretary-General Mr Low Thia Khiang and Mr Gomez responded for the first time on the issue at a rally on Saturday night.

Mr Low said: "If the PAP thinks that I will be intimidated by their big guns and will duck the issue, they have made a wrong judgement. I have spoken to James Gomez and found out what had happened."

He said the PAP was trying to use the issue to discredit the WP's candidates especially the Aljunied team.

Mr Gomez also read out a statement during the rally to set the record straight.

He said: "I have a statement to read - I refer to my claim for the submission of my application for a minority certificate at Elections Department on 26th Apr 2006. I wish to confirm I did not submit the said application on the 24th Apr 2006 due to distractions caused by the busy sechedule leading up to Nomination Day. Please accept my sincere apologies if my actions on 26th Apr 2006 caused any distress or confusion to the staff or the elections department. I thank you."

During the same rally, WP chairman Sylvia Lim rebutted the PAP's comments that the opposition does not have tried and tested candidates - including those who can take on an international role.

Ms Lim, who is part of the WP team for Aljunied GRC, says potential and sincerity matters too.

She said: "As for myself, he asked whether I can negotiate Free Trade Agreements like George Yeo. First question we should ask is how important negotiating free trade agreement is to becoming a good MP to your residents. The first argument which they always like to use is - don't vote for untested Workers' Party candidate - vote for an incumbent, experienced MP. Now ask yourself - does this mean you should never vote for new candidate? What if the new candidate is good, is full of potential and is sincere?" - CNA/ch